Charred Eggplant Pizzantini
A great vegetarian lunch, or heavy appetizer, our latest Pizzantini makes use of the complex, hearty flavor of eggplants for a dish that’s low in calories, but high in tastiness! Best enjoyed on our full-size Roasted Garlic Croccantini.
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large eggplant, cut into thick slices
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the olive oil with vinegar, parsley, basil, cilantro, and 4 cloves of garlic. Once combined, add eggplant slices and coat well. Allow eggplant to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- While eggplant is marinating, light grill and preheat to medium heat. When ready, grill eggplant, basting with marinade and rotating occasionally, until eggplant is nicely charred and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from heat, and chop into 1/2″ cubes. In a large bowl, combine remaining 2 cloves of garlic with mayonnaise and lemon juice. Gradually whisk in remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil, then fold in chopped eggplant. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and spread over full-size Croccantini. Serve immediately.
Original recipe found at