Beet Borani With Feta and Toasted Sesame Seeds
Made With: Toasted Sesame Mini Croccantini
Fresh and healthful, this easy appetizer recipe looks great, and tastes even better.
- 3 medium candy stripe or chioggia beets
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cumin seeds
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2oz fresh goats milk feta, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350F. Rub beets with 1 tsp oil and season with 1/4 tsp salt. Roast on a baking sheet until tender, about 50 – 60 minutes. Let cool, and then peel. Cut the beets into medium chunks, then set aside.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a dry skillet until fragrant, about 1 – 2 minutes, then grind into a powder, preferably with a mortar and pestle.
- In a small saute pan, heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot, and cook until tender, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the beets, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, cumin, garlic, shallot, yogurt, and lime. Pulse until very smooth.
- Spoon into a serving bowl, and sprinkle with feta, sesame seeds, sea salt (to taste), and drizzle with olive oil.
Original recipe found at