Roasted Strawberry Trifle with Lemon Cream
A chilled summer dessert with natural strawberry sweetness!
3 cups heavy cream
1 ¼ cups sugar, divided
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup flour
5 tbs unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
¼ cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 tbs finely chopped basil
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup granola
2lbs strawberries, hulled, halved if large
1 tsp sea salt
Torn mint and basil leaves
Original recipe found at: www.bonappetit.com
- Bring cream, 1 cup sugar, and pinch of kosher salt to a gentle simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt.
- Cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice.
- Let cool slightly, then transfer to a medium bowl and press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface. Chill lemon cream until it has set up to a pudding-like consistency, at least 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine flour, butter and brown sugar, bail and vanilla and a pinch of kosher salt to a medium bowl. Using your finder, work mixture until it comes together in small clumps. Bake until golden brown and slightly firm – 30 minutes.
- Let cool and break into smaller pieces. Mix in granola.
- Increase oven temp to 425. Toss strawberries, salt and remaining ¼ cup sugar on a clean rimmed baking sheet to combine.
- Roast strawberries, tossing once, until they are juicy but still hold their shape, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Assemble trifles by spooning alternating layers of lemon cream, roasted strawberries, and granola crumble into 8-12 oz. glasses.
- Top with some mint and basil leaves.