Green Panzanella Salad with Pickled Shallots
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
3 lb. assorted red or green heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
3 tbs. olive oil
2 cups arugula, thick stems trimmed
Original recipe found at: www.bonappetit.com
- Combine shallot and vinegar in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and let stand 15 minute
- Transfer 2 Tbsp. vinegar from shallot mixture to a large bowl (reserve remaining vinegar with shallots). Whisking constantly, gradually add oil; whisk until combined. Season dressing with salt, pepper, and more vinegar from shallot mixture, if desired.
- Add tomatoes and their juices to dressing and gently toss to coat. Let tomato mixture stand at room temperature until tomatoes release more juices and soften slightly, about 1 hour.
- Add arugula and croutons to bowl with tomato mixture; season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Drain pickled shallot. Serve panzanella topped with pickled shallot.