Creamy Maple Brie and Cheddar Apple Soup
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth or ham broth
2 cups apple cider
6 large apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons maple syrup (or brown sugar)
1 cup aged/sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
8 ounces brie, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
Original recipe found at: www.closetcooking.com
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, cider and apples, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the apples are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, maple syrup, cheddar and brie and cook until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender and optionally strain candy bits of brie rind that may remain before seasoning with salt and pepper before enjoying!
- Top with Walnut Oat Granola