Beef and Butternut Squash Stew
3 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbs minced fresh rosemary
1 Tbs chopped fresh thyme
2 pounds stew beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 cup Marsala wine
1 pound butternut squash, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
3 to 4 cups beef broth
2 Tbs fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large soup pot heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and sauté until the onions are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Toss the beef cubes in salt and pepper and flour. Turn up the heat to med-high and add the beef to the pot.
- Cook until the beef is browned and golden around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Marsala wine. Using a wooden spoon, gently stir up all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the butternut squash and sun-dried tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Add enough beef broth to just cover the beef and squash.
- Bring the stew to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Season the stew with additional salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley.