Butternut Squash Soup with Shrimp
A simple soup any shrimp lover is sure to enjoy!
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound frozen large shrimp (peeled and devined), thawed
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
1/2 large butternut squash
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup sour cream
Fried sage leaves, for serving (optional)
Original recipe found at: www.marthastewart.com
- Cut the squash into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium. Add shrimp and cook until opaque throughout, 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate; cover with foil.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon butter, onion, and chopped sage; cook until onion is softened, 8 minutes.
- Add squash, cayenne, and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, 20 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer half the mixture to a blender.
- Add sour cream and puree until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return to pot along with shrimp; stir to combine.
- To serve, divide soup among four bowls; top with fried sage leaves, if desired.
- Pair with Cracked Pepper Mini Croccantini crackers!