Roasted Poblano Corn Chowder with Bacon & Gouda
8 slices bacon
3 tbs vegetable oil
2 tbs butter
1 large onion chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
6 tbs all-purpose flour
6 cups chicken broth
1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ½” cubes
6 large poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (1 to 1 ½ cups)
1 bag frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups shredded Gouda
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Original recipe found at: www.fromachefskitchen.com
- Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Crumble when cool.
- Heat oil and butter over medium-high heat in the same Dutch oven. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 7-8 minutes or until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook briefly. Approximately 15 seconds.
- Add the flour and cook 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the roasted and peeled peppers, corn and heavy cream and bring back to a simmer. Add Gouda and cheese and stir until cheese has melted.
- Add half the bacon, reserving the remainder for garnishing the chowder.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and serve with Cracked Pepper Mini Croccantini crackers!